At the end of the 13th century, around 1280, Count Floris V built a stone castle at the mouth of the river Vecht. Floris V gained command over the surrounding area, and enforced a toll on the Vecht river. The Vecht river was the trade route to Utrecht, one of the most important trade towns of that age.
After being betrayed by his own nobility Floris V was killed in 1296, and in the years after the castle was demolished. The castle was rebuilt and into power again in the 14th century.
At the end of the 16th century and well into the 17th century the Dutch poet, author and historian P.C. ’t Hooft spent his summers in the castle with friends from the Amsterdam nobility. In this period the gardens, plum orchard and outer earthworks were extended, these can still be visited today! Most of the castle’s interior dates from this era.
1877 Marks an event which became very important for the present status of the Muiderslot Castle. A steamship with Amsterdam nobility sailed down to the castle to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the death of an other famous Dutch poet Joost van den Vondel. Vondel was one of the friends of the 17th century inhabitant of the castle, P.C ‘t Hooft, and occasionally visited the castle in those days. For years a foundation was busy gathering money to renovate the neglected castle, and these efforts and attention caused the Muiderslot castle to get the status of National Monument in 1878. We are very proud we were asked to organize a boat trip with our Elvira in 2017 with Amsterdam nobility, to celebrate the 140th anniversary of this specific event.