The most beautiful and best kept medieval castle in Holland!
The imposing Muiderslot, which is part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam and included on the UNESCO World Heritage List, is located by the former Zuiderzee, in the water-rich environments of the river Vecht.
Amsterdam Castle was built around 1285 by Count Floris V, an ally of the French Court and later of the British King Edward. While hunting with falcons one day in 1296, Floris was captured by his nobles and imprisoned in his own castle. In their flight from the advancing hordes, he was brutally murdered in the vicinity of Muiderberg.
The tour through the Golden Age with the impressive Knight’s Hall, towers and dungeon, the film in the Castle Chapel and, last but not least, the Armoury with its stunning armour collection is a fantastic experience for young and old alike.
The boat excursion including the visit to Muiderslot (2,5 hours) takes about 4 hours
Things to do
- A guided tour through the 17th century decorated rooms. The tour takes half an hour and is included in the ticket.
- For children an interactive quest is available that will take them through a large portion of the castle.
- The beautiful herb and vegetable gardens still retain the atmosphere of the Dutch Renaissance. A walk along the ramparts offers fantastic views of the water-rich environments and the Pampus island fortress.
- The falconry is also inextricably linked to Floris V and the Muiderslot. In the summer months you can watch the soaring falcons and other birds of prey during live demonstrations, daily except mondays.
- New: the ‘Waterschild’ Pavilion! In this sunken building you will learn everything about the history of the castle and its surrounding waters through the centuries. Besides informative it is also a ‘splashing’ experience!
- Have a drink or something to eat at the ‘Taveerne’ in the beautiful courtyard.
AMSTERDAM CASTLE MUIDERSLOT:
|Adults – I amsterdam city card
Adults – Holland Pass
Adults – Museumjaarkaart
|Children (4 – 11 years)||€15,00|
|Children – I amsterdam city card
Children – Holland Pass
Children (4 – 11 years) – Museumjaarkaart
|Children (<4 years)||Free|
Book your tickets following this link. Please note you can brink your bike for free!