The most beautiful and best kept medieval castle in Holland!
Visit the most beautiful and best kept medieval castle in The Netherlands, to experience castle life 700 years ago. The castle hosts a huge collection illustrating its history. There are free guided tours, kids activities, a falconry (bird show) and of course the gardens.
The imposing Muiderslot (also known as Muiden Castle, or Amsterdam Castle), is part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam and included on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The castle is located by the former Zuiderzee, in the water-rich environments of the river Vecht. The castle was built around 1285 by Count Floris V, an ally of the French Court and later of the British King Edward.
Our historical boat brings you directly from Amsterdam to the castle’s entrance in Muiden. It is a 45 minute journey over the open water. The boats have an inside and an outside area, bar, toilets and heating.
The boat excursion including the visit to Muiderslot (2,5 hours) takes about 4 hours
Things to do
- Discover the Muiderslot with a free audio tour which is available in 9 languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Hebrew, Mandarin, Russian and Dutch.
- For groups up to 15 people guided tours can be booked at least 2 weeks before your visit.
- For children an interactive quest is available that will take them through a large portion of the castle.
- The beautiful herb and vegetable gardens still retain the atmosphere of the Dutch Renaissance. A walk along the ramparts offers fantastic views of the water-rich environments and the Pampus island fortress.
- The falconry is also inextricably linked to Floris V and the Muiderslot. In the summer months you can watch the soaring falcons and other birds of prey during live demonstrations, daily except mondays.
- The ‘Waterschild’ Pavilion. In this sunken building you will learn everything about the history of the castle and its surrounding waters through the centuries. Besides informative it is also a ‘splashing’ experience!
- Have a drink or something to eat at the ‘Taveerne’ in the beautiful courtyard.
The ferry Muiderslot (Muiden Castle) leaves once daily at 10.45 am sharp. Seats are limited. Please reserve your tickets in advance to be sure of a spot on board. From 28 May to 11 August there is an extra departure leaving at 1.15 pm.
Difficulties booking your tickets? Please fill in the contact form below to have your spot on board reserved for you.